Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Finished It

Finished it  I couldn't be happier!
What difference would it make in your life if you had an absolutely unshakable confidence in your ability to achieve anything you really put your mind to?:
Yes!  I did it!  Check it out . . .
R:
So sorry this is blurry.  Do you mind?   The pillows are our colors and 'look' Goes with our bed.
                             The lavender isn't our thing.  So I decided to fix that.
This is a down filled comforter.  I've been thinking for months about what to do with it.  This week
I was in my sewing closet.   And I noticed a bolt of fabric.  And, it was like someone turned on a light because I finally figured out what to do!
Yes. . .
T:
I had been thinking for awhile I wanted to make a duvet cover for the throw.  This fabric lept out at me
said 'use me. use me.'  I've had this bolt.  Yes it is yardage that looks a lot like a ticker tape quilt for ages.  Like from the '90s  I cannot lie I didn't piece these millions of rectangles.  You can't tell from this shot
but this yardage was sewn really, really rough.  The stitching is crooked.  But I think that ads to the charm.
So I think I can call it vintage.
                 I was in a hurry to get this project completed so I crossed my fingers and just went with it.
I started by laying out the duvet and then laying the bolt on top.  I realized I would have to piece it.  You can see the seam in this photo where I pieced it together.

T:
I decided on simple muslin on the back.  My iron was acting up when I was piecing the back.
I wanted a kind of old/aged look so I used different shades of muslin scraps of different sizes from other projects.  It kind gives an old look I think.


I'm a bit of a 'Maverick' I didn't do any math.  I just pieced the top and bottom then laid it back on the
throw and cut it leaving a little extra of course on the edges for a seam.
T:
This was the tricky part.  I really had to think about this.  I wanted the throw to stay inside the cover so I planned to sew all three pieces together.
I laid the top rights sides together with the muslin and then laid them on the throw on top of my bed.
T:
You can see the gray sheet on the bed and the side rail of the bed below.  (My bed is made out of a tree)
I took it to my machine and . . .
T:
Slowly stitched along the last stitching line on the comforters edge.  Notice the muslin hanging off the edge.
I cut it off after sewing all three pieces together.
Some of you might not believe this part and I took a photo to prove it.  This entire project was sewn on a
$100.00 Brother sewing machine from Walmart.
T:
I almost didn't show this photo because my machine is dirty.  And The magnet strip with masking tape looks kind of tacky.
            But I was in a hurry to get this project going!  And I wanted to show you! to brag about my cheap machine!
Once I had the three pieces together.  And I said another Yes because the machine sewed through all those layers.  I pulled the throw out to one side and put the top and muslin together and got ready stitched down the sides.
T

T:
No pins this time.  I knew I needed the top and bottom to be big enough for the throw to go inside so I used the throw as a mark and then place my trusty magnet strip on the machine for a guide and sewed down the first edge.
Insert another Yes. . . We're on a roll.
T:
One side finished.
T:

Stitched up the other side and stuffed the throw inside.

And I had a finished product.  Yes. Yes. and Yes!
T:
                                 And I cannot be happier!  
So I'm sharing with the Crazy Mom!
And some other linkies because I want to 'Show Off' my Fabulous new vintagie looking quilted throw!  

Linking with Friday Finish It at Crazy Mom Quilts
Linking with Link A Finish Friday
Linking with Off The Wall Friday
Linking With Creative Goodness Linky Party
Linking with Fabric Frenzy Friday
Linking with Home Sweet Home Friday
Linking with Simple and Sweet
Linking with The Creative Exchange
Linking with Free and Fun Friday
Linking with No Rules Weekend Party
Linking with Sweet Saturday
Linking with Roses of Inspiration Party
Linking with Tips and Tricks Linky Party
Linking with Let's Bee Social
Linking with Brag About It Tuesday Linky Party
Linking with DIY Show Off
Linking with Metamorphis Monday
Linking with Amaze Me Monday
Linking with Your Turn To Shine
Linking with Before and After
Linking with The Creative Collection
Linking with Busy Monday
Linking with Amaze Me Mondays
Linking with  Creative Mondays
Linking with Metamorphosis Monday
Linking with Something to Talk About Link Party
Linking with The Art of Making Home- Making Mondays
Linking with Make It Pretty Monday
Linking with Merry Monday Linky Party
Linking with The Art of Home Making
Linking with Whoop


                           

11 comments:

Denise said...

I love it

Iris said...

We made refugee blankets like this. So swift and easy and great result.

Linda Kay said...

Amazing job, and congrats on the completion of it! Always feels good.

Patti said...

I just want to say I LOVE IT! It is great to see what you can make by just "winging it". You will love it for years.

TexWisGirl said...

that's really neat!

Marilyn said...

I think your $100 Walmart Brother machine is great! I do all my sewing on a $150 Brother from Amazon. It's a workhorse. What counts is what you're able to accomplish with it—and you're obviously accomplishing a lot!

Molly the Airedale said...

It's just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful job! The blanket looks amazing - and so so cozy! Perfect for Fall!

Mari said...

Well, that looks good! And your machine obviously works just great! You are no-reply, so I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Having all the fabric in storage is a pain, but it gives me an excuse to search for more. Hope you have a good and productive week!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Hehehe you can totally call it vintage! That's amazing that you did all that and on that machine and without any math! You maverick sewing champ you! :)

Thanks for linking up at Free and Fun Friday! Tweeting and pinning.

Snowcatcher said...

How wonderful to see what a masterpiece an inexpensive machine can do! I just bought a similar machine because my 33-year-old workhorse bit the dust, but I haven't finished anything so fancy yet!