Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Review--Saving Hope--Margaret Daley


Last Sunday I had about 5 minutes to grab a couple of books at the library.  I had nothing to read for the week.  I was drawn to the Inspiration section of my library.  I tend to enjoy suspense and inspiration.  And usually am able to find something in the new release section. 

I quickly read the back cover.  Noticed it took place in Texas and added it to my pile.  During the week as I read it there were times that I was glad I picked it up.

But for me there were times that I experienced other emotions.   Because, it hit way too close to home. 

The story is about Kate who is the Director and founder of a home for girls called Beacon of Hope. 
Beacon of Hope is a safe place for young girls that have been caught up in prostitution. 

Folks even though this is a work of fiction.  It's topic is true and is happening,  If your a regular reader of my blog you'll know that I have worked  with teenagers in trouble for the last 10 years.  We have seen many young people that have been  through and live in unspeakable situations. 

As I read Saving Hope I was touched by the authors accuracy in telling the story.  Down to the struggles that Kate faces trying to maintain funding for Beacon of Hope. 

Miss Daley did an amazing job of focusing on a real problem but also in telling a story that draws you in.  I enjoyed the characters.  I was kept on the edge of my seat.  And I have to say that this story was not predictable.  Except that Kate does end up with the Texas Ranger.  But the story has twists and turns that kept me interested. 

Here's a little more about the story from the back cover . . .
When a teenager goes missing from the Beacon of Hope School, Texas Ranger Wyatt Sheridan and school director Kate Winslow are forced into a dangerous struggle against a human trafficking organization. But the battle brings dire consequences as Wyatt's daughter is terrorized and Kate is kidnapped. Now it's personal, and Wyatt finds both his faith and investigative skills challenged as he fights to discover the mastermind behind the ring before evil destroys everyone he loves.


I visited the authors site and found a link to an excerpt.  Click here to go directly there and read part of the story. 

Miss Daley has definitely found a new fan in this reader.  I'll be looking for another chance to read the works of Margaret Daley. 

I was not asked to write a positive review of  Saving Hope.   The copy I read was borrowed from my local library. 

Reading on the Journey . . .

Please visit me next Friday for my new feature "Fiction Friday".
Each Friday I will write a review/post of a book that I have read during the week. 

Here's the verse I am memorizing this week . . .

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life."  John 8:12