Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Jelly Roll Quilts Book Review

I just finished reading/looking at this book.  It was great and I loved it so much I wanted to share it. 
I checked it out at my local library. 

The thing I like the best about the book is the directions and resources.  Well I did love the patterns and the photo's but that is a given.  You might have seen this book in catalogues and passed on it thinking you couldn't buy it or use it because your stash busting.  Well this great book gives you the yardage needed even if your not using jelly rolls.  In most cases you can simply cut X number of strips to make these awesome quilts.  They even tell you how many fat quarters you can use!

Each set of instructions begins with Vital Statistics and a  What you need box.  Here's an example from
Bars of Gold on page 10.  Their version made with Kaffe Fassett fabric.  Ohhh La La!

Vital statistics
Quilt size 69x66in.
Block size: 8x10in.
Number of blocks: 40
plus 3 in wide sashing and border strips

and

What you need
  • One jelly roll or 40 2 1/2in strips cut the width of the fabric.
  • 1.8m (71 in) of sashing and border fabric.
  • 60cm (23 1/2" in) of fabric for binding.
The quilts in the book are awesome and gave me some great ideas.  I wish I could show you the Bars of Gold it really is Ohh LaLa!

But I did find a consumer quilt posted on Amazon and a couple of images from the book.  Here's the consumers quilt.
 This one is Sparkling Gemstones from the book.   Click here for the Amazon link.

And here's a couple of pages found on Amazon.

This is the page that shows the Vital statistics and What you need box and a description.  I loved this one called Pandora's box   The book quilt used Japanese taupes I loved the greys, blacks,browns and taupes reminded me of stones.  It is on my list to do.  Oh I see a Pinterest page (is that what you call it?) coming on.

And then who doesn't just love a Log Cabin.  The instructions are simple and clear and I love how they tell you exactly how much fabric you will need including how many fat quarters to equal the amount of strips.  I am a fat quarter girl! 

I love the Jelly Rolls but I am working on a use up that Stash budget.  Hopefully once my Christmas sewing is done I'll be making something from this book. 

Have you looked for quilt books at your library?

No comments: