Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Waiting . . . The Review

Sorry for teasing you a little this morning but the review is finally here and I think you'll agree it was worth the wait!

The Waiting is the 2nd book in the Lancaster County Secrets series by Suzanne Woods Firsher.   It is described as the 2nd 'stand alone' book.  I was a little surprised because I expected book 2 to be a sequel to The Choice which I had the opportunity to read a few months ago.  Here is the link to the review.   So now I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book.  I am a little curious if the characters are woven together into the third story.  Hmm. 

Here's a little about the book from the back cover: She was waiting for love–and found it in the most unexpected place.

Jorie King’s life is on hold. She has been waiting for Ben Zook to return to Lancaster County. Waiting for him to settle down and join the church. Waiting to marry him.
But when news arrives that Ben has been killed, Jorie is devastated. She finds unlikely comfort in the friendship of his brother Caleb. Friendship ripens into love, and two broken hearts plan for a life filled with the promise of a fresh beginning–until their worlds are turned upside down.
With her realistic characters whose weaknesses develop into strengths, Suzanne Woods Fisher offers a reading experience that rises above the others. You will love growing in spirit with these complex people living the simple life as The Waiting transports you into a world where things aren’t as simple as they seem.

As with the first book I think the author did a great job of showing the struggles that the Amish people face when they have to deal with the way the English or 'outsiders' think.   First when they deal with the tragedy of Ben's death and how the military handles the situation.  And then when the new veteranarian comes to town. 

I really enjoyed the characters even more than I did in the first book.  I found I was on Jorie's side as the school board members push Caleb to suspend her from teaching because they feel her teaching methods are  a little unorthodox.    And of course you are drawn to Caleb's character.  As he deals with personal struggles including raising his brothers after his parents unexpected deaths, running the family farm and then being elected as a minister in the church. 

For me it was a little easier to read The Waiting than it was to read the first book.  I think it was because there weren't as many characters that fight for your attention.   In the first book I caught myself getting absorb in each of the subplots.  But that didn't happen in this book.   

Even from the first page I was intrigued.  Here's an excerpt from the first chapter. 



I really enjoyed The Waiting and I am looking forward the next book. 

For more info. you can visit the authors blog or go to the website

Here's the info. about the book:
Paperback: 320 pages

Publisher: Revell; Original edition (October 1, 2010)

ISBN-10: 080073386X

ISBN-13: 978-0800733865

And what others are saying:
"More than a story of the Amish, The Waiting is the story of a woman, sometimes triumphant, sometimes struggling, carried through turbulent times by a plain faith."
Lisa Wingate, author Tending Roses & Never Been Kissed.

"Fisher takes the sweet story expected in Amish fiction and adds a kick of realism I treasured my time with Jorie King and the whole Zook family, sharing their grief and
laughter--what a lovely read."Sarah Saudin, author Wings of Glory series. 

Visit this blog for another review and information about The Kindle give a way.

You can purchase on line at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Thanks to Baker Publishing Group and Litfuse for allowing me to read and review this book. 

No comments: